When the court issues a parenting time schedule, both parents are required to abide by the terms outlined in that schedule. In the event a change needs to be made, whether it is because the schedule conflicts with an appointment or work schedule, you may be able to get the schedule modified. If you need to make a temporary change to your parenting time schedule, the Ingham County Friend of the Court encourages parents to work together to discuss the change.

For example, let’s say you are planning a vacation and the time you intend on traveling coincides with the time your child is expected to spend with their other parent. In this case, you might ask your child’s other parent if they are willing to allow you to keep your child during that particular time so they can go on the trip. In exchange, your child’s other parent would be able to make up the time they missed with him/her. In the event the two of you are able to come to an agreement, you might consider documenting this to avoid any issues in the future.

In the event you need to make a permanent change to your parenting time schedule, and you live in Ingham County, you can either:


  1. Work with your child’s other parent to see if he/she is willing to make the change.
  2. File a petition with the 30th Circuit Court for a change in the court order. If you need help with getting the petition filed, the Law Offices of Stuart R. Shafer, P.C. may be able to help you with this.


It is important for you to understand that the Friend of the Court will only enforce the terms set forth in the court order. Essentially, what this means is that if you attempt to get the court to enforce something that is not stated in the order, the court will not be able to enforce it.


Hire a Child Custody Attorney in Ingham County, MI to Assist with Getting Your Parenting Time Schedule Modified


Whether you are looking to have your parenting schedule modified because of a change in circumstances or because your child’s other parent is not following the current order that has been established, it is always a good idea to retain a skilled Ingham County, MI child custody lawyer who can help you. Child custody lawyers can assist with getting the proper paperwork filed with the court and can help address other child custody-related issues that might arise in the process of getting your order modified.

To schedule a time to speak with a child custody attorney in Ingham County, MI, call 517-487-6603.


You can reach the Law Offices of Stuart R. Shafer, P.C. at:


1223 Turner Street, #333

Lansing, MI 48906

Phone: 517-487-6603

Website: www.stushafer.com

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *