If you and your ex-spouse have a child custody order in place but worry that sending your child back and forth between households on a frequent basis could increase their exposure to the potentially deadly COVID-19 virus, there may be alternatives that can be used to get your family through the pandemic. Although child custody orders should never be broken or ignored, during these unprecedented times, you and your ex might find the need to make some modifications to your current custody order.

Now, just because the two of you may not wish to send your child back and forth as regularly as you would, that doesn’t mean one parent should lose out on time they typically would be spending with their child. Therefore, if you are looking for ways to reduce the chances of your child contracting the virus as one parent may be working in a field that puts them at heightened risk of contracting it or because one parent may be displaying signs and symptoms associated with COVID-19, the Ingham County Friend of the Court suggests you do one or more of the following:


  1. Switch to virtual parenting time. If you and your ex are in agreement that your child should not be spending time in either home as it raises their risk of contracting the virus, the parent who is missing out on time with their child can utilize various apps including FaceTime, Duo, Facebook Messenger, Zoom, Skype, WhatsApp, etc. to connect with their child. Although a virtual visit isn’t the ideal way for a parent to spend time with their child, it still provides them with the interaction they might be looking forward to.


  1. Agree to make-up parenting time. Rather than have a parent lose out on in-person time with their child, both parents can agree that the days missed can be made up after they believe it is safe to resume the initial schedule that is outlined in the child custody agreement.


  1. Skip parenting time. If a parent decides that they wish to just skip their parenting time to avoid exposing their child to the virus, them both parents may agree to this until it is safe for the child to continue their visits with that parent.


In the event your child’s other parent is making changes to your child custody order that was issued without your consent, you might consider contacting Ingham County, MI child custody attorney Stuart R. Shafer. In some cases, when a parent refuses to follow a child custody order or work with their child’s other parent to ensure the health and wellbeing of their child is not put in jeopardy during the pandemic, it may be time to call in an Ingham County, MI child custody lawyer. If you need to speak with a lawyer regarding a child custody issue or have a legal question you need answering, the Law Offices of Stuart R. Shafer, P.C. is available to assist you.



You can reach the Law Offices of Stuart R. Shafer, P.C. at:


1223 Turner Street, #333

Lansing, MI 48906

Phone: 517-487-6603

Website: www.stushafer.com

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *