, ,

Tampa, Florida, What Happens If We Cannot Decide on Child Custody?

When two parents decide that it’s time to split up for good then it is often the children who have to face the brunt of the decision. It can be hard for all family members to transition from their previous family life together into one in which everyone is living independently, but it is especially hard for small children to adjust, especially if the divorce was a messy one.

The parents need to decide who the children will stay with and come up with a parenting schedule that describes how many hours the child will spend with each parent throughout the year. The plan should also explain who the children will stay with during their holidays and vacations. However, it is not always easy to come to a conclusion that satisfies both parties. In many cases, the two parents find it hard to come to a mutual decision.

If this is the case, a child custody lawyer should be contacted in Tampa, Florida. A child custody lawyer will be able to assist both parties in coming to a mutual decision. If the mediation of the attorney makes no difference, then matters will be escalated to court and the court will decide the final parenting plan for both individuals.

The parent who gets more time with the children will generally be that parent who is a lot more involved in taking care of the children and helping them with their basic needs such as maintaining their cleanliness, making their meals, helping them with homework, and taking them to school and to their appointments. In Florida, there is actually no term as custody. No parent gets complete custody of the child unless there is a very extreme case of violence, abuse or neglect.

Instead of getting custody, parents have to create a time-sharing schedule and they get to spend time with their kids accordingly. The visitation rights that a parent gets can be extended to their family members as well in certain cases. For instance, if a parent is not in the country most of the time, like parents on military duty, they can request that their family members take their place in the time-sharing schedule.

Can the time-sharing schedule be changed?

If the parents try the schedule and see that it is not working out they can contact their lawyer and request a court revision and change. However, the time-sharing schedule cannot be changed simply due to the fact that one of the parents is refusing to provide child support. Child support decisions are completely separate from the time-sharing schedule.

The court always looks at the child’s best interests. If they feel like the children are better off spending more time with one parent as compared to another then they have the power to create the time-sharing schedule accordingly. It is important to note that child support will be given to that parent who will be spending most of their time with the children.